Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Crock Pot Turkey!

I made turkey in the crock pot! It was very exciting and very yummy. You should do this. You won't regret it. I promise.

Crock Pot Turkey
Source: A Year of Slowcooking
Ingredients:
4-6 pound turkey breast
2c chicken broth
1/2c butter
1 onion
salt and pepper

Directions:
Unwrap turkey breast and pat dry with paper towels. Salt and pepper turkey and place breast side down into crock pot.

Cut up onion coarsely and plop on crock. Add the stick of butter. Pour broth over the top.

Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours of high 4-6 hours until meat reaches at least 170 (use a meat thermometer, it's important). You also want to make sure it reaches at least 140 within 4 hours of beginning cooking so that all bacteria is killed within the recommended time.

Once cooked, remove from crock and let sit 20 minuted until carving.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Mmmm. I'm sure I would love this. TG dinner is my fave meal. Was it hard to find a turkey breast small enough?

Jo said...

It was fabulous, Mary. I actually used about a 7lb bone in breast. That was about as small as I found at one grocery store. At another I found a 5lb boneless breast. As long as it fits in your crock and you get it to 140 within 4 hours, you shold be fine.

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates