Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sloppy Jon's

No, you didn't read that wrong. I did call them Sloppy Jon's. Weird, I know. You see, growing up I was teased on Sloppy Joe day at school since my name is Jo. So, at home, my parents made up for it by serving Sloppy Jon's (my brother's name). It's something that has stuck and now, that's what I will always call them. Fun story, right?

Anyway, this is a simple recipe for the sandwich. They are very tasty and require only 5 ingredients plus buns. Top them off with some pickles and you've got anexcellent sandwich. Add some corn on the cob and fruit salad and you have a quick, summer meal that all those little kids out there named Jo will love.

Sloppy Jon's
Source: Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices
Ingredients:
1lb ground beef or turkey
1/2c chopped onion (I used some onion powder since Matt doesn't care for onion chunks)
1 can reduced-fat condensed tomato soup
2tsp worcestershire sauce
3 drops red pepper sauce
hamburger buns
Directions:
Cook ground meat over medium-high heat until browned. Drain.
Stir in remain ingredients, except buns. Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot.

3 comments:

Matt said...

"Stir in remain ingredients, except buns."

Phew! I'm glad you clarified...=)

Mary said...

Ok, I love Matt's comment!
2 things:
1. Here in my town (I am not from here, I just live here!), they call these Hot Tamales and eat them with cheese.
2. Growing up, my parents changed the words to that rhyhme about Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow? Well, I have no idea how my garden really grows b/c the version I learned has my sister's name it too. "Wilma waters it and pulls the weeds." I am not kidding.

Jo said...

Mary - Matt eats his with cheese on top. I always though it was odd! Also, too funny that your parents did the same thing with a different song :)

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates