Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pork Chops and Applesauce Remix


I went to the local "farmer's market" this week. It's a store that sells local produce, meat, and dairy products as well as some other natural and home made grocery items. Amazingly enough, everything is priced comparably to our local store. The meat is even cheaper AND it's cut fresh daily. I am in love with this place. It is only 1/4 mile from our regular two grocery stores so I will definitely be shopping there for produce and meat from now on. Anyway, the point is that I bought these pork chops there for this recipe that popper up in my google reader. It was very good. I loved the apples. The only problem for me was baking the chops. I'm not really a fan of them cooked that way. I MUCH prefer them on the grill. So, these will most likely remain a warmer weather meal so we can cook them over charcoal.


Pork Chops and Applesauce Remix
Source: Big City Cooking, Adapted from Rachel Ray
Ingredients:
4 pork chops
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp Herbs de Provence (I just used basil and oregano)
Salt & Pepper
3 tbs butter
4 apples, cored and sliced
2 tbs all-purpose flour
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs sugar


Directions:
Preheat oven to 425*.


Drizzle the chops with olive oil. Sprinkle zest, herbs, and salt and pepper onto the pork and roast 25 minutes. Remove and let juices settle.

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat and saute apples for 12 to 15 minutes until very tender. Season with a pinch of salt and sprinkle the flour over the skillet, toss to combine. Squeeze the lemon juice over the skillet and sweeten with sugar.Arrange the apples over the pork to serve.

No comments:

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates