Sunday, February 22, 2009

Homemade Applesauce


I love applesauce. I hate how much it costs in the store though. All it really is is apples, water, and maybe a bit of sugar and cinnamon. That's it. So, I decided to try to make some own. I am very glad I did! This stuff is good. It is a little bit sour but I like it that way so I'm happy. You can always alter this by the type of apples you use also. Next time I think I will try using a couple different varieties of apple to spice it up a bit. This is also a crock pot recipe so even easier to make. I doubled the recipe by using a Gala apples and doubling the rest of the ingredients.


Homemade Applesauce
Source: A Year of CrockPotting
Ingredients:
4 large apples, skinned ,cored, and cut in quarters
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs brown sugar
1/4 c water

Directions:
Skin, core, and cut your apples into quarters. Place the pieces into your crockpot. Add the juice from the lemon, and the water. Pour in the vanilla and add the cinnamon and brown sugar.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. When the apples are super tender, mash with a potato masher or large fork. My apples were very tender after about 4 hours but my crock tends to cook a bit faster than others.

No comments:

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates