Friday, January 16, 2009

Chocolate Ice Cream


I love ice cream. All ice cream. At any time I can it. Even when it is below zero outside like it has been here for the past two days. Yes, I'm crazy. But, I just love the stuff SO much. I decided to try my hand at making it. I've shied away from it in the past because I don't have an ice cream maker. I don't really want one. I feel that I wouldn't use it enough to justify having to store it. Maybe one day when I have my dream house with the HUGE pantry.

I got the basic for this recipe from allrecipes.com. It comes from a recipe for rocky road but I figured I'd just make regular chocolate ice since that is the base for rocky road. I changed the recipe up a bit to suit my needs but let me tell you, it is SO good!



Recipe modified from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c unsweet cocoa powder
1 c heavy cream
2 c 2% milk
1 tbs vanilla extract

Directions:
In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine condensed milk and cocoa powder until smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Stir in cream, milk, and vanilla.

Pour into a container suitable for the freezer that has a lid. Preferably glass or stainless steel.

At this point you can place the mixture in your ice cream maker if you have one and follow the manufacturer's directions. If not, follow the directions below:

Cool in refrigerator until cold. Stir and cover. Place in freezer for about 45 minutes. Stir, making sure to break up all ice crystals. Put back in freezer. Repeat process until soft set. Leave in freezer until ready to serve.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I can't believe you made ice cream. Without an ice cream maker. I don't think I would have the patience. I would just go to the grocery store! Good job!

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates