Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Ok, I know what you're thinking. Tuna noodle casserole? Ewwww! Well, just bear with me on this one.

When I was a kid, I loved Tuna Noodle Casserole. Now that I'm an adult, all the globity gloop that is cream of whatever soup makes me a little queasy. So, I've been on the hunt for something like a tuna bake that is flavorful and not boxed. Imagine my surprise when I saw this recipe while looking through old posts on one of my favorite blogs Joelen's Culinary Adventures.

This recipe is a very yummy way to eat tuna without the mess of cream of whatever soups. I followed the recipe *almost* to a T. Next time, I will make some adjustments to fit our tastes. I will omit the Dijon mustard and mayo and add a bit more salt and pepper. I will also probably thaw out the peas and carrots as the carrots took a long time to cook through when frozen. Other than that, I will keep it just as I made it last night!

Ingredients:
2 tbs butter
1 small chopped onion
1 tbs minced garlic
8 oz thinly sliced mushrooms (I omitted)
1 1/2 tbs flour
1 1/2 c evaporated milk
1 chicken bouillon cube (I omitted)
1 1/2 c frozen peas & carrots mix
3 (6oz) cans tuna, drained (I used two)
1 tbs mayonnaise
1 tbs Dijon mustard
garlic powder
onion powder
salt and pepper
2 cups croutons, crushed
1 cup shredded cheese, divided (I used 2 cups :D)
2 cups dried elbow macaroni, cooked

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375*

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onions, garlic and mushroom & brown. Add flour & cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add milk and stir. Add bullion cube & dissolve. Add peas/carrots, tuna, mayo & mustard. Add seasonings to taste. Fold in cooked macaroni. Stir in 1/2 of cheese.

Place in greased casserole dish. Top with crushed croutons and remaining cheese.

Bake 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

Brienne said...

Jo, this is awesome! I loved Tuna Noodle Casserole as a kid and have been craving it a lot lately. However, Steve doesn't like cooked seafood, so I've been putting it off. I might kick him out of the house one night and make him fend for himself. Looking forward to trying this.

Jo said...

Yay! Beware though, this recipe makes a ton! I had leftovers for lunch today (better than it was last night, yum!) and we still are throwing away half of it. Next time I will halve the recipe to feed Matt and I for supper and lunches the next day.

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates