Friday, January 9, 2009

Loaded Potato Soup


I don't know about you but I love O'Charley's loaded potato soup. It is amazing and I have to get a cup every time I go there. That soup and the rolls are really the only reason we go there. When I saw this soup, I though it looked much like the soup from the restaurant so I had to give it a try. I was not disappointed! Next time, the only things that we will do differently is fry up a whole batch of bacon to throw in there and maybe add some more cheese. Otherwise, this soup was perfect. Since I don't have a dutch oven, I just made this entire soup on the stove with a regular heavy duty pot.

Loaded Potato Soup
Source: Cook Like a Champion originally from Cooking Light
Ingredients:
4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
2/3 c all-purpose flour
6 c 2% reduced-fat milk
1 c reduced-fat shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 c reduced-fat sour cream
3/4 c chopped green onions, divided
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Cracked black pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400*
Pierce potatoes with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, until tender.

Cool potatoes. Peel and coarsely mash.

Place flour in a large heavy duty pot. Gradually add milk, stirring with wire whisk until well blended.

Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, about 8 minutes.

Add potatoes, 3/4 c cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts.

Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 c onions.

Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until well heated. Do not boil.

Serve topped with crumbled bacon, remaining cheese and onions. Garnish with cracked pepper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny that you made this, Jo! I have been craving loaded potato soup, but didn't have a recipe to follow. I'll have to give this a try...maybe for lunch tomorrow?

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates