Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls


I love cinnamon rolls. Almost as much as ice cream. I have been wanting to make some for a while now but they are fairly time intensive so I have been pushing it off. When I found this recipe in the Delicious Meliscious blog, I knew I had to finally stop putting it off and just make the darn things.

This was a really good recipe. There are only a couple things I will do differently next time. First, I will use more cinnamon because I love the cinnamon flavor and I just didn't use enough. Second, I will make sure I roll the dough out even thinner than I did so that the cinnamon sugar mixture is distributed more evenly. Other than that, these rolls are a keeper!


Cinnamon Rolls
Source: Delicious Meliscious originally from The Pioneer Woman
Ingredients:
2 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil (I used 1 stick vegetable spread melted)
1 c sugar, divided
1 pkg active dry yeast
4 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
cinnamon to taste

Directions:
Mix milk, vegetable oil, and 1/2 c of sugar in a pan. Scald the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point.) Remove from heat and let it cool 45 minutes to 1 hour.

When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in yeast. Let this sit for a minute and then add 4 cups of flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let sit for at least an hour.

Add 1/2 c flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir mixture together. (I made the rolls up to this point the night before and stuck the dough in a covered bowl in the fridge until morning)

Sprinkle surface generously with flour and roll the dough into a thin rectangular shape. Brush 1/2 cup melted butter on top, then sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the butter, and finish with cinnamon.

Starting with the wide end, roll the dough tightly. With a sharp knife, cut into 1 inch slices. Place in a greased pan and let rest 20-30 minutes. Bake at 400* for 15-18 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Source: Delicious Meliscious
(I halved this recipe and still have MUCH more than enough frosting)
Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese
4 c powdered sugar
1/2 c butter
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Frost warm rolls.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

These look great! I can't wait to try them!

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates