Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gingerbread Cookies


Yum yum yum. I love these little guys. Especially right out the oven. The only problem I have with this recipe is that they get hard quickly. I prefer chewy, soft cookies. So, I will be looking for another recipe next year. But, it you like crunchy gingerbread, this is a great recipe for you.

Ingredients:
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. dark molasses
2/3 c. cold water
7 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:
Beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses, and water in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed. Stir in remaining ingredients (this got tough with all that flour!). Cover and chill at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 350*. Grease cookie sheet lightly with shortening or spray with cooking spray.

Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured surface (this requires muscle, let me tell you!). Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Decorate as desired. I used the same frosting that is in the post below (sugar cookies).

Source: Betty Crocker

2 comments:

Mrs. Wiggy said...

Even adding the molasses didn't help? Drat! I made peanut butter cookies yesterday (w/o molasses) and thought they'd be better next time with a bit added in.

You're becoming quite the little baker! How's Matt's waist line feel about that?

Jo said...

I think I will try baking them a little less next time. They are supposed to be crunchy, I just prefer soft cookies.

Matt actually doesn't eat much of thebaked goods. I eat some and they rest goes with me to work. My coworkers love it.

 

Busy (Mrs.) B. in the Kitchen | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates